Please make your whisky more widely available in the lancaster/morecambe/carnforth area
Who Says You Can’t Drink Alcohol While Losing Weight?
As we all know, alcohol may give us either a beer belly or abs. As a matter of fact, according to a research conducted by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who drink one or two glasses a day are less likely to gain weight than those who take an extra 433 calories on days they consume a couple of drinks.
Although drink-fueled foods may be the culprit for weight gain, 61 percent of the calories come from the alcohol itself. Therefore, if you’ve been trying to lose weight and you want to enjoy drinks on occasion, then you’d better think about the drinks you choose. Here are the best and worst alcohol beverages that you can order.
The Best Alcohol
- Assuming that you’re drinking from a standard 5-ounce glass, you can expect to take in 100-120 calories per glass of red or white wine. However, you have to consider things when you choose to drink wine. White wine contains fewer carbohydrates, which makes a little difference when you talk about calories. Meanwhile, red wine is richer in antioxidants; the ellargic acid from the red wine helps delay the growth of fat cells, according to the 2014 study in The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry.
- “Fortified wine with higher alcohol content and infused spices and herbs, vermouth is a calorie saver if you have it by itself – as it’s commonly served in Europe,” said Georgie Fear, R.D., the author of Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss. It contains 64 calories per 1.5 ounce serving with only 15-18 percent alcohol. It also contains polyphenol compounds that help promote healthy weight loss.
- Straight Liquor. If you’re worried about the calories, then shots and straight booze on the rocks are the best ways to go. As calories increase with alcohol content, the different isn’t that huge. For example, a shot of 86-proof whiskey has 105 calories, while a shot of 80-proof vodka has 97. Keep in mind, however, that the sweeter the liquor, the more calories it has. Thus, if you want a flavor boost, try low-calorie mixers.
- Light Beers. With only little carbs and calories, these are the best beers for weight loss. Many of them contain 90 to 100 calories per 12 ounce, while extra-light beers only have 55 to 65 calories. Remember, though, to not use this as an excuse to have more beers than usual or you won’t reap the benefits.
The Worst Alcohol
- Cocktails are sugar-laden drinks, which mean it is packed with calories. For instance, when you drink margarita, your body may be overwhelmed with alcohol that your body won’t properly metabolize the sugar; instead, it will store it as fat.
- Craft Beers. For the past few years, craft beers have been popular among those who drink. What they don’t realize is that it is packed with more calories than the regular beer. Every gram of this good stuff contains seven calories. For instance, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA with 18 percent alcohol per volume contains about 450 calories per bottle — which is typically a meal in a glass.
Trackback from your site.